Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Shipment day

On May 30th, we finally got the rest of our stuff... yay! We were expecting the moving crew to show up around 9 in the morning, so I thought I was hearing things when I heard this quiet 'knock knock knock' downstairs just before 8am. Schan and I are both not morning people, so I drug myself downstairs in my PJs and found that there were 3 Japanese movers smiling and staring back at me from our patio window, haha! Needless to say, that woke me up better than my morning coffee.

So the next few hours were spent helping the movers organize boxes and do inventory, since all of our things had been labeled with numbers when they packed it up back in Oklahoma. Luckily everything was there, with only a little damage on the side of our coffee table. At the end of the day, the company had to call a crane to lift our extra couch onto the balcony to get it upstairs. Japanese staircases are not meant for big American furniture :) It was a crazy sight to see this giant crane lift our couch over my car to the upstairs balcony. I guess it's very common to do that around here though. If we would have rented an upstairs apartment here, all of our furniture probably would have been moved that way.


We also had forgotten about the random things that the movers in Oklahoma City accidentally packed up for us, haha. We had labeled things "Don't pack" but I guess you have to be a little more specific with some people. I thought for sure that they would not pack our cat's litter box, which they didn't, but they did pack the stinky litter scoop and supplies that went with it. Yuck!! Some certain beverages (liquor and beer) also went missing in OKC during the whole packing process. We thought that the movers took all of it as a nice bonus, but we were wrong. All of it traveled overseas with our furniture and is now chilling in our fridge here in Okinawa. I bet there isn't another Bud Light bottle in the world that has traveled as much as ours :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi ,

It’s really good to know about this. Looks really interesting!!! home furnishings and electrical fitment in detail. Over 42 million people move in the U.S. every year. That’s an amazing 1 in 4 adults. Most people will move several times in their lives. Research has shown that relocation ranks third as the most stressful event in a person’s life. Moving can create a lot upheaval. While we might be enthused about the new home, there can also be sadness in leaving behind a familiar home, neighborhood and friends. The last thing we need to worry about is if Oklahoma City movers company will deliver our belongings safely on the other end.

Thanks,